Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Holiday Music Sampler 2015

Can't locate your holiday spirit? Here's a gaggle of holiday tunes. Maybe one will get you there.

Home Free. Performing since the early 2000s, this Minneapolis-based a cappella quintet won NBC's The Sing-Off in 2013. In 2014 they released a holiday album, the nostalgic-but-refreshing Full of Cheer. 

Home Free
"Angels We Have Heard on High." Impeccable arrangement; superb showcase for their range of voices.


For more about these guys -- Austin Brown, Rob Lundquist, Chris Rupp, Tim Foust and Adam Rupp -- check out their website, Facebook page or YouTube channel.


Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings.  These funk/soul revivalists have been around since 1996. There have been personnel changes among the Dap-Kings, but Sharon Jones has remained out front fiercely singing an eclectic range of material. Their 2015 holiday release -- It's a Holiday Soul Party -- is not your ordinary Christmas album. Jones and the Dap-Kings just might make you get up and dance.

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
"White Christmas." This is how you breathe new life into a familiar old carol.



Tracey Thorn. She's one half of the (currently inactive) '80 duo Everything But the Girl. In 2012 she brought her wistful, subdued style to a holiday album -- Tinsel and Lights -- an emotionally resonant mix of mostly new tunes.

Tracey Thorn (photo: Edward Bishop)
"Joy." Forthright sentiment and a lovely arrangement.




De Staat. I only discovered these Dutch alternative rockers earlier this year. There's a compelling mix of madness and mischief about them that I like.

De Staat (photo: Isabelle Renate la Poutre)
"Let It Snow." It's an enthusiastically unconventional take on a holiday classic. And the video features the kind of Santa that no parent ever wants to encounter at the mall.




Well-Strung. They're the talented and sexy string quartet of gay men who've carved out a niche for themselves by mixing pop and classical music.

Left to right: Christopher Marchant (second violin), Edmund Bagnell (first violin),
Daniel Shevlin (cello) & Trevor Wadleigh (viola)
"Silent Night." Traditional with a twist. 

2 comments:

  1. I liked Tracey Thorn, but my favorite was Well-strung. Thanks for a diverse holiday music round up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIVORCE AND MARITAL BREAKTHROUGH

    It all started when my husband cheated on me with another woman unknowing to him that the woman is a wizard, the woman castes a spell on my husband which made my husband change his feelings towards me and the kids and broke our 6 years marriage. i was confused and stressed because of the pains of being a single mother, when i called a friend and explained my marital challenges to her, she instructed and directed me to contact a great powerful spell caster called Dr. Ugo Wonders living in Florida. i contacted Dr. Ugo and explained my problems, he assured me his help and it was 100% guaranteed. i provided the materials for the spell and in 48 hours, after Dr Ugo Wonders of generalspelltemple@gmail.com finished casting the spell, my husband was free from the evil woman spell and he came back home to us a day after begging us to forgive him. i was so shocked and short of words and here i am today happily testifying so the world can know how this great man helped me with his real powerful spell.
    To every one with marital problem, divorce issues, lost lover or any relationship related issues, you can contact Dr. Ugo wonders the ultimate spell caster via his email address generalspelltemple@gmail.com or call his mobile number directly on +13863369876

    http://generalspelltempleblog.wordpress.com


    DIVORCE AND MARITAL BREAKTHROUGH

    It all started when my husband cheated on me with another woman unknowing to him that the woman is a wizard, the woman castes a spell on my husband which made my husband change his feelings towards me and the kids and broke our 6 years marriage. i was confused and stressed because of the pains of being a single mother, when i called a friend and explained my marital challenges to her, she instructed and directed me to contact a great powerful spell caster called Dr. Ugo Wonders living in Florida. i contacted Dr. Ugo and explained my problems, he assured me his help and it was 100% guaranteed. i provided the materials for the spell and in 48 hours, after Dr Ugo Wonders of generalspelltemple@gmail.com finished casting the spell, my husband was free from the evil woman spell and he came back home to us a day after begging us to forgive him. i was so shocked and short of words and here i am today happily testifying so the world can know how this great man helped me with his real powerful spell.
    To every one with marital problem, divorce issues, lost lover or any relationship related issues, you can contact Dr. Ugo wonders the ultimate spell caster via his email address generalspelltemple@gmail.com or call his mobile number directly on +13863369876

    http://generalspelltempleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete